Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cameron Hughes Wines

Cameron Hughes makes really good wines! They are really reasonable and are from premier vineyard sites around the world. They simple partner with great producers and buy grapes from them. I have sampled six of their wines and never thought they were not worth the money.

Here are 2 wines in particular that are outstanding for the money:

2007 Cameron Hughes Cabernet Sauvignon Lot 140 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Chalk Hill (2/3/2011)Dark purple. Beautiful aromas of cherry, dust, violets and spice. On the palate spice, cherry, dust, violets and raspberries. Great acidity and soft/medium tannins. This is a true drink me now wine that has to be one of the best values I have ever tasted. A strong candiate for wine of the year at this price point. This is better than the Lot 200 at this stage of the game. (93 points)

*Interesting to read other notes on Cellar Tracker as too many reviewers are influenced by low scores from critics. Wine Specatator 82 is a joke. I am buying a case of this wine at $12.96 a bottle. It is better than ajust about any Napa/Sonoma Cabernet I have ever tasted under $25. If I served this blind in a $60 Napa Cab tasting it would finish in the middle of the pack.


2008 Cameron Hughes Cabernet Sauvignon Lot 200 - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/1/2011)I let this 1st bottle air out and this is a day 4 review. Mocha, blackberries, spices, oak, vanilla and violets. If you drink this now I recommend a six hour decant. The wine is more concentrated and really showing like a $60 Napa Cabernet. Highly recommended wine at this point and I am glad I saved some for the experiment. (91 points)

This wine is a real bargain but needs some cellar time to open up. I won't sample another one of these for 2 years.

Good advice for 2011 is don't worry about the label, producer, etc. but trust your palate first.

Cheers,

John Glas
Wineglas

No comments:

Post a Comment