Friday, November 12, 2010

A former wine of the year not showing well in 08


In 2009 Wine Enthusiast named the 2006 Cambria Julia's Vineyard Pinot Noir number one on their top 100 list. A good friend of mine with a great palate also gave the wine a 93 point score.

So what happened to the 2008? The 2008 version is weak and offers very little complexity. Neither 2006 or 2008 were great growing seasons in the Central Coast region as in 2008 they had reduced crop levels and not consistant temperatures. So this would explain the weak 2008 however I have not sampled the 2006 and should do so to compare. Cellar Tracker gave the 2006 an average of 87.6 and the 08 an average of 87.7. Once I sample the 2006 I will report back on this blog and let you know but I think Wine Enthusiast might be missing the mark as I have been disappointed with many of their top picks in the past.

The wineries descrption:

This wine develops aromas of ripe cherry, strawberry, cranberry and blueberry fruit on the palate. Red fruit, vanilla and cinnamon are balanced with subtle earthy flavors. The mid-palate has a silkiness that continues into a long finish.


My Tasting Note:

2008 Cambria Pinot Noir Julia's Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (11/12/2010)
Right out of the bottle was not good so I waited a few hours to sample again. Smoke, strawberries, wafer and cranberry on the nose. Candied fruit, cranberry but the palate lacks comlexity and is a bit watered down. Weak finish and really the only thing good about this wine is the nose. I will try this wine and day 2 and see if anything changes. (84 points)



If you buy this from the winery it is $25 vs. $15.88 at Morelli's in St. Paul.

I will update you on the 2006 soon.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment